Polished Concrete at Richmond Barrack
PMAC Ltd recently completed the polished concrete element to restoration works at Richmond Barracks. Richmond Barracks of course played a very important role during the 1916 Rising.
Richmond Barracks and the 1916 Rising
After the surrender, it was designated by the British as the holding centre for over 3,000 suspected rebels, until they were released or sent to prison camps. All signatories of the Proclamation (with the exception of James Connolly) and other leaders were also interned, court-martialed and sentenced to death in the barracks before being sent to Kilmainham.
In 1922, The British Barracks was handed over to the Free State Army and renamed Keogh Barracks.
After that, the historic buildings were used by the Dublin Corporation to house families in need as well as a Christian Brothers school. The housing scheme became known as Keogh Square which, following many years of social deprivation and bad physical conditions, was eventually demolished in 1969. This meant that most of the original Barrack buildings were gone forever. Thankfully, Dublin City Council took possession of the remaining buildings in 2005, with a view to conserving what was left.
The polished concrete floors at Richmond Barracks