The history of the NCAD campus
These beautiful stills form part of a fantastic historic tour around the area. The Powers’ Distillery was the birthplace of Dublin’s brewing and distilling tradition. Established in 1791 by James Power, the John’s Lane Distillery was built on the edge of Medieval and Viking Dublin, in an area that was once part of the lands of the Friary of St. John.
The pot stills of the Powers’ Distillery were where the wash made from malted and unmalted barley was distilled – not once or twice, but uniquely three times as only Irish whiskey is, with over 33,000 gallons reduced to 3,000 gallons by each distillation. By the 1880s, John’s Lane Distillery was producing over 900,000 gallons of whiskey a year. One of the stills, known as Jack Still, had a capacity of 7,500 gallons and was specially constructed for Powers’ by Turnbull, Grant and Jack of Glasgow. It was in constant use in John’s Lane from 1888 until the closure of the Distillery in 1975.
A new walking tour that includes the stills will be opening soon.