Our top seven tips for keeping your natural stone tiles looking like new!
- For effective cleaning and maintenance of any natural stone, it is important to note the nature and composition of your stone. It is also important to find out whether your stone has been pre-sealed at the quarry or requires sealing at installation.
- Pre-clean your stone surface with a suitable pre-cleaning product if deemed necessary. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Use a white cloth to clean the stones with the diluted solution. If marks persist, you can use a white emulsifying pad to aid removal.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly before sealing. Drying time will vary according to nature of your stone. Travertine and quarry tiles, for example, are very porous and generally need to be left over night to dry.
- If you need to remove grout, use an alkali solution.
- Once dry, seal with a suitable sealer (water and oil repellent).
- Note that there are also products available that can enhance the colour or give you a high gloss/wet look.
- For regular maintenance, we recommend you use a pH neutral cleaner such as Stone Soap.
For any other tips and advice on maintaining stone floors, feel free to call us at 01 473 366 or read all the tips and answers on our FAQ page.